Minute by minute; variations in the standard; new kid on the blog; and other highlights from our favorite tax bloggers.
How about a hug?
- Turbotax (https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com): What to remind them (yet again) about why to file ASAP.
- Taxing Subjects (https://www.drakesoftware.com/blog): What to remind them about common filing mistakes from a source some in the industry consider an expert (the IRS).
- The Wandering Tax Pro (http://wanderingtaxpro.blogspot.com/): “ASAP” is one thing, getting the job done quickly but completely is another. What to remind them about making sure everything’s in that shoebox before they hand it to you.
- Taxable Talk (http://www.taxabletalk.com/): Favorite headline of the week: “Hug Your Tax Professional: The IRS Is at It Again.” The blogger, like many, hoped that the gleaming new season would be more pleasant than the last two. But the recent National Taxpayer Advocate report has characterized IRS response to COVID as “lacking.” It doesn’t look like things are improving based on three items — the first being the most serious.
- Gordon Law (https://gordonlawltd.com/blog/): A handy and expert guide to crypto and taxes in 2022.
- Eide Bailly (https://www.eidebailly.com/taxblog): All the news that fits as the season opens.
- Bloomberg Tax and Accounting (https://pro.bloombergtax.com/news-insights/): Quick: How many minutes will there be in this year’s season?
- Current Federal Tax Developments (https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/): The IRS has added clarification in the final 1120S instructions about how expenses paid with Paycheck Protection Program funds that lead to debt forgiveness should be treated in accumulated adjustments accounts and the other adjustments accounts.
- Don’t Mess with Taxes (http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/): They might be surprised (you might be, too) at all the variations of the “standard” deduction.
- Solutions for CPA Firm Leaders (http://ritakeller.com/blog/): Don’t embrace a hiring philosophy that says if the person is breathing, hire them.
- National Association of Tax Professionals (https://blog.natptax.com/): In this week’s “You Make the Call,” James, a single taxpayer, wants to invest part of his refund instead of directly depositing all of it into his bank. How can he allow the IRS to directly invest his refund and what are his choices?
- (Allison Christians) Tax, Society & Culture (https://www.allisonchristians.com/blog): The blogger’s new book aims to show that the international tax system is key to understanding the way that nations share power and resources.
- Tax Vox (https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/): Public safety or speed traps? The conflicts of interest behind fines and fees.
- Procedurally Taxing (https://procedurallytaxing.com): In Li v. Commissioner, the court has held that the Tax Court lacks jurisdiction to hear an appeal of threshold rejection of whistleblower award requests.
- TaxConnex (https://www.taxconnex.com/blog-): For your clients with an online business and sufficient sales into a given state, who exactly is handling all those tax notices?
- Boyum & Barenscheer (https://www.myboyum.com/blog/): How many board members do your nonprofit clients really need?
- Taxbuzz (https://www.taxbuzz.com/blog): Universal health care means everyone has access to health services sans the usual financial stress. But who pays for it? Often the answer falls to higher taxes — something Democrats in California are now dealing with.
- Parametric (https://www.parametricportfolio.com/blog): A look back at the “tax mousetrap” designed in 2021, however unwelcome the review may be. Tax policy played an outsized role for investors in the year, but it shared the spotlight with plenty of other geopolitical dramas.
- CPA Growth Trends (https://www.cpagrowthtrends.com/): Why Haven’t You Responded to My Telex? Dept: There are five generations currently in the workforce. Recent studies have taken a deep dive into how these generations differ — and the communication methods they prefer.
- Taxpro Center (https://proconnect.intuit.com/taxprocenter/): What to remind them (and yourself) about creating a “no-phishing” zone.
New to us
- Henry+Horne (https://www.hhcpa.com/blogs/): This Arizona firm handily breaks blog topics out in clear, catchy blocks — A&A, litigation and valuation, “Your Financial Blueprint,” “The Side Dish” (the restaurant niche) and “The 501 S(c)ene,” to name a few. Lots of information, well-presented. Welcome!
window.fbAsyncInit = function() FB.init(
appId : '1831529093792889',
xfbml : true, version : 'v2.9' ); ;
(function(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js";
(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));