Posted on 11th March 2022 by hstebbings1
Sid Sijbrandij is the Co-founder & CEO @ GitLab. GitLab’s single application helps organizations deliver software faster and more efficiently while strengthening their security and compliance. Prior to their IPO last year, Sid raised funding from some of the best including ICONIQ, GV, Tiger, Coatue and D1 to name a few. Under his leadership, the company has grown to over 1,500 employees and over 30 million registered users. If that was not enough, Sid is also an active angel and sits on the board of Meltano, a spinout of Gitlab that allows you to manage all the data tools in your stack.
In Today’s Episode with Sid Sijbrandij You Will Learn:
1.) The Founding of Gitlab:
- How did Sid make his way into the world of tech and startups?
- What was it about Gitlab as a project that excited Sid so much from Day 1?
- How did Sid convince his co-founder to turn Gitlab from a project into a company?
2.) The Future of Work:
- Why does Sid believe it is a fallacy that everyone will go back to the office?
- What are the 1-2 most important things for companies to do when moving to a remote work environment? Where does Sid see many make mistakes?
- What have Gitlab done to create a remote working environment so successfully? What have they tried that has not worked?
- What stage of company building does remote work best for? When is it most challenging?
3.) Sid: The Leader
- How has Sid changed and evolved as a leader over the Gitlab journey?
- How does Sid look to get as much feedback as possible on his leadership?
- How does Sid create an environment of safety where everyone feels they can provide feedback?
- How does Sid work with his CEO coach? Should every CEO have one? What should one look for in them? How do you know when you need to change your CEO coach?
4.) Sid: The Board Member:
- What have been Sid’s biggest lessons on what makes successful board management?
- In prep for the meeting, what materials does Sid provide? When does he send them? Does he present to the board? What mistakes do founders make in boards?
- From being on the other side as a board member, what does Sid believe the best members do?
- What would Sid most like to change about board meetings today?
Item’s Mentioned In Today’s Episode with Sid Sijbrandij
Sid’s Favourite Book: High Output Management