Close Menu
  • Business
  • Black Business
  • SMALL BUSINESS
  • BANK/FRAUD FINANCIAL CRIMES
  • Celebrities
  • CRYPTO
  • DEBT
  • Entrepreneur
  • ESTATE PLANNING
  • FRANCHISE
  • Gossip
  • GLOBAL ECONOMY
  • Music
  • MUTUAL FUNDS
  • Political
  • Pop Culture
  • PERSONAL FINANCE
  • Wall street
  • Privacy Policy
  • Business News Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Terms and Condition
What's Hot

Keke Palmer Claims She’s ‘Almost 100% Sure’ She’s Asexual

Google Pixel Announces 10a Phone Aimed At Budget Shoppers

Monique Samuels Talks #RHOP Return, Her Reunion Dress

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Keke Palmer Claims She’s ‘Almost 100% Sure’ She’s Asexual
  • Google Pixel Announces 10a Phone Aimed At Budget Shoppers
  • Monique Samuels Talks #RHOP Return, Her Reunion Dress
  • Bad Bunny & Spotify To Hold A Billions Club Live Concert In Tokyo
  • Michael Archer Jr. Reflects on D’Angelo’s & Angie Stone’s Absence
  • Spike Lee Gets Candid On ‘Ryan Cameron Uncensored’
  • What Robert Kraft Gets Right
  • Teddy Riley Walks Back R. Kelly Second Chance Comments
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
THE MIRROR OF MEDIA
  • Home
  • Accounting
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Political
  • Crypto
  • Real Estate
  • Ecommerce
  • Entrepreneur
  • Investment
  • More
    • Music
    • Gossip
    • Pop Culture
    • Wall street
    • IPO’S
    • Mortgage/Loans
    • Venture Capitalists/Angel Investors
THE MIRROR OF MEDIA
You are at:Home»Business»Marcos to sign 2026 nat’l budget on Jan. 5 — Recto
Business

Marcos to sign 2026 nat’l budget on Jan. 5 — Recto

adminBy adminNo Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email



By Chloe Mari A. Hufana, Reporter

PHILIPPINE President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. will sign the 2026 General Appropriations Act (GAA) on Jan. 5, 2026, according to Executive Secretary Ralph G. Recto on Tuesday.

“[We] will need time to go over the budget,” Mr. Recto told BusinessWorld via Viber. “A one-week reenacted budget will not affect government operations. In fact, a careful review of the budget prepares the Executive [to execute] it properly.”

Mr. Marcos was initially expected to sign the spending plan on Dec. 29, but there were delays in the bicameral conference committee’s proceedings as lawmakers needed more time to scrutinize the national budget for red flags.

The proposed 2026 GAA is facing heightened scrutiny after claims surfaced that this year’s national budget included billions of pesos in unprogrammed allocations.

Despite this, the bicameral committee cleared P243 billion in standby funds, reversing earlier efforts to rein in the mechanism after the Senate version cut the allocation to P174.55 billion — about P68.66 billion below the P243.22 billion approved by the House.

Such funds are contentious because, while they are meant to provide flexibility for emergencies or unforeseen expenditures, excessive or opaque use can undermine accountability.

The panel also faced an impasse over the Department of Public Works and Highways’ (DPWH) budget for next year, following a massive graft scandal involving flood control projects. There was a standoff over a P45-billion reduction in the DPWH budget, with senators standing by the cuts even as Public Works Secretary Vivencio “Vince” B. Dizon and the Presidential Palace warned that failure to reinstate the funds could weigh on the economy.

Congress is set to approve the bicameral conference report on the national budget by Dec. 28, followed by its ratification on Dec. 29

Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III earlier this week flagged the possibility that the Philippine government will start operations in 2026 under a reenacted budget.

Mr. Sotto said that if the enrolled copy is not ready on time, the government could default to last year’s appropriations through the first week of January, a scenario that policymakers have been trying to avoid.

Failure to pass a new appropriations measure triggers the automatic reenactment of the prior year’s budget, a scenario analysts said could undermine economic growth goals and delay the rollout of priority government projects.

Mr. Sotto reiterated his opposition to “blind ratification,” underscoring concerns about opaque allocations, even as the Palace urged Congress to expedite approval to avert budget reenactment.

Also on Tuesday, Press Secretary Dave M. Gomez said Mr. Marcos will review the spending plan over the holidays.

The President has already tasked his team to conduct an immediate and comprehensive review of all allocations and provisions approved by the bicameral conference committee, tracing any adjustments made from the originally submitted National Expenditure Program, Mr. Gomez said.

“This thorough review will ensure that taxpayers’ money will be put to good use, contributing to the attainment of societal goals that will be felt by all Filipinos, consistent with his pronouncement in the last State of the Nation Address,” he added in a Viber chat to reporters.

Ederson DT. Tapia, a political science professor from the University of Makati, said a briefly reenacted budget, while not disastrous, is far from neutral.

It confines the government to the previous year’s appropriations, preventing funding for new programs and delaying capital outlays, infrastructure projects and program expansions, he noted.

“For departments implementing time-sensitive programs, even a short reenactment can create bottlenecks that ripple into the first quarter,” he said via Facebook Messenger.

However, the impact of the reenacted budget will be manageable if the new budget is approved swiftly. Predictability and timely enactment remain key, making brief reenactments an administrative inconvenience rather than a fiscal crisis, though avoiding them altogether is preferable, he noted.

Hansley A. Juliano, a political science lecturer at the Ateneo de Manila University, said delays in passing the national budget are unusual compared with previous administrations and raise questions about the Marcos government’s legislative efficiency, even if officials frame them as technical issues.

The Philippines has previously run on reenacted budgets under past administrations, most recently in 2019, when then-President Rodrigo R. Duterte enacted the spending law only in April.

While a delayed or reenacted budget may not immediately disrupt government operations, Mr. Juliano warned it could create uncertainty, particularly over the timely payment of salaries for public sector workers, underscoring the need for clearer guidance on what would be affected.

“I can imagine not affecting operations much, but there is always the worry of how it may impact salaries for public sector employees,” he said via Facebook Messenger.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
Previous ArticleCharlamagne Tha God Dishes Talks Joe Budden & More
Next Article How Eunice Whitman’s Murder Became a Case With No Verdict — ProPublica
admin
  • Website
  • Facebook

The most informative business website online.

Related Posts

Passive Income Business Ideas For Introverts In The Philippines (No Chat, No Calls Setup)

Baltimore Bag Co. Relaunches During Black History Month, Honoring Black Economic Legacy and American Craftsmanship

Kanlaon Volcano records explosive eruption, ash emission in 24 hours

Comments are closed.

Don't Miss
Gossip

Keke Palmer Claims She’s ‘Almost 100% Sure’ She’s Asexual

Source: Brianna Bryson / Getty You know “your girrrrrrl,” Keke Palmer is always keeping it…

Google Pixel Announces 10a Phone Aimed At Budget Shoppers

Monique Samuels Talks #RHOP Return, Her Reunion Dress

Bad Bunny & Spotify To Hold A Billions Club Live Concert In Tokyo

Michael Archer Jr. Reflects on D’Angelo’s & Angie Stone’s Absence

Spike Lee Gets Candid On ‘Ryan Cameron Uncensored’

What Robert Kraft Gets Right

Teddy Riley Walks Back R. Kelly Second Chance Comments

Trump’s Black History Month Remarks Send Internet Reeling

Miss J Reveals ANTM Regret, GoFundMe Launched For Recovery

“You See My Neck Now”

Beaded Baddies Who Let The Good Times Roll At Mardi Gras 2026

Baby Keem Drops His Album ‘Casino,’ Fans Say He Hit The Lotto

About the Cool Piercing She Has on Her Upper Lip – Hollywood Life

Zillow seeks dismissal of consolidated RESPA lawsuit in Seattle

About Us
About Us

LewLewBiz delivers practical insights on entrepreneurship, finance, and business operations. Explore expert advice on payroll, landlord strategies, and industry news to empower your financial decisions and business growth.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: lewlewmedia@gmail.com
Contact: lewlewmedia@info.com

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Keke Palmer Claims She’s ‘Almost 100% Sure’ She’s Asexual

Google Pixel Announces 10a Phone Aimed At Budget Shoppers

Monique Samuels Talks #RHOP Return, Her Reunion Dress

Most Popular

‘Call of Duty’ No Longer Getting Back-To-Back Releases

Tyler, The Creator Announces 2025 Camp Flog Gnaw Lineup

Shelby and Eli Steele on Victim Politics in 2025

© 2026 lewlewmedia since 2016
  • Business
  • Black Business
  • SMALL BUSINESS
  • BANK/FRAUD FINANCIAL CRIMES
  • Celebrities
  • CRYPTO
  • DEBT
  • Entrepreneur
  • ESTATE PLANNING
  • FRANCHISE
  • Gossip
  • GLOBAL ECONOMY
  • Music
  • MUTUAL FUNDS
  • Political
  • Pop Culture
  • PERSONAL FINANCE
  • Wall street
  • Privacy Policy
  • Business News Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Terms and Condition

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.