Childminding – Small Business UK

With the rising cost of living and employees returning to the workplace, affordable childcare is in high demand. You won’t be able to just set up a childminding service and go, though.

It’s a given that you’ll need an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check. It’ll be complete within around six weeks. You need this to register with Ofsted – it normally costs around £35. Note that anybody who lives with you or regularly works with you will need a DBS check too. This includes your partner, cleaner, housemates, lodgers and children over the age of 16.

The next step is to childproof your gaff. Depending on the age of the children you’re looking after, this could mean gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, keeping anything hazardous out of reach and putting child locks on cupboard doors.

You’ll also need to register to be a childminder. Register if you’ll be looking after children for two or more hours a day who are up to the age of eight in your home or someone else’s home. You can register with a childminding agency if you’d rather.

To be a childminder, you need first aid training, childcare training, a completed health declaration booklet and contact details of two references.

Source link