HUD Grants: $15M for Older Adults Aging in Place

Nonprofits can apply for HUD grants that help older low-income adults modify their homes, allowing “our nation’s seniors to age-in-place with dignity.”

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has $15 million for home modifications to help older Americans age in place through HUD’s Older Adult Home Modification Program (OAHMP).

According to HUD, the money will help nonprofit organizations, public housing authorities and state and local governments with programs that make safety and functional home modifications that meet the needs of low-income elderly homeowners.

Secretary Fudge announced the funding opportunity while visiting a home modification project made possible by the OAHMP in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She was joined by U.S. Senator Tina Smith, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity President and CEO Chris Coleman, and Betty and John Smith, the beneficiaries of the home modification project. While in Minnesota, Secretary Fudge is also visiting two properties to discuss housing supply and the Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to expand access to affordable housing.

“By 2040, it is estimated that 20% of the population will be over 65 years old,” says HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge. “We must allow our nation’s seniors to age-in-place with dignity. This funding will give seniors the flexibility to make changes to their existing homes – changes that will keep them safe and allow them to gracefully adjust to their changing lifestyle.”

The home modification program’s goal is to enable low-income elderly persons to make low-cost, high impact home modifications that reduce their risk of falling, improve their general safety and increase accessibility.

Examples of home modifications include grab bars, railings and lever-handled doorknobs and faucets, as well as adaptive equipment, such as temporary ramp, tub/shower transfer bench, handheld shower head, raised toilet seat, risers for chairs and sofas, and non-slip strips for showers or stairs.

HUD’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) is available online. Eligible applicants can apply for funds through

© 2022 Florida Realtors®

Source link